Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

etiquette.

I must confess to dissembling. There was one collection I deliberately did not share, because I wanted to save it for now. Another of my collections are vintage etiquette books. I've found one at an antiques shop in Ruston, (the top book covered in roses, from the 1920s) and three of them at the Centenary Book Bazaar for less than it would take to do a load of laundry at a laundromat (A 1941 edition of Emily Post's Etiquette, a 1959 Amy Vanderbilt Complete Guide to Etiquette, and a '60s book of hosting from Esquire).

They are old-fashioned, but genteel, and while it would be folly to directly apply their precepts to learning your manners today, they do still make their point about what etiquette truly is-- behaving (and dressing) appropriately for every time and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment